Saturday 6 October 2012

Priceless Peacocks

I have always thought that peacocks are beautiful creatures.
Whether you see a male peacock proudly displaying his gorgeous tail in the zoo or strutting in someones backyard   - the peacock always demands special attention.


Our house is based on the open concept plan.  When we built our house we left several areas open cut-outs  for later contemplation.  I had thought to put an aquarium into one and possibly a leaded glass picture in another - there are so many possibilities  thought.    


Since the trend has been everything peacocks for the last few years - when I designed the railing for the stairs I added the birds into the design.   



Then a few months ago, I decided to paint a peacock on glass instead of creating a leaded glass picture for the 4' x 5' hole. I takes considerably less time to paint on glass than to cut, edge and solder a piece.  Also it is less expensive - so if you get sick of it after a while you don't feel sad about taking it down and putting up something different.  


One of the few problems that I had was that our walls are made of the sandstone block.  I had to design a metal frame to hold the glass and to brace the picture to the wall.  


In the end it turned out really nice - and is now a good selling point of the house.




No comments:

Post a Comment