Saturday 13 October 2012

The glass mosaic table that influenced a room.

 I have always liked hummingbirds - a truly unique bird. 
 Did you know that they are the only bird that can fly backwards.

I had a few extra pieces of colored glass from a leaded glass project I had just finished 
and thought to make a table for my front room.


I drew a sketch of the table to show the metal craftier.
I made sure to include a 5 mm lip around the oval top so that the glass would be level with the rim.
Then gave the metal craftier the dimensions I wanted with instructions to sand down any rough edges and paint the table a glossy black.


While the metal craftier was making the frame -
I sketched the glass pattern on a piece of paper the same size as the table top.
The flowers are day lilies and are two shades of pink glass with multi-green glass leaves.
I used a milky beige glass for the background. I wanted to keep the pieces larger on this pattern
- otherwise I thought that this might have detracted from the pattern.
I used a white groat and added color until I came up with a light beige shade.


  Now what to do with the rest of the room?

Best to start with the walls.
I painted the walls a light rose-beige.
Then sponge-painted over that with a rose.

That turned out alright but I needed something to break up the pink in the room!
I have a rather difficult space to work with:  I have a cut out on one wall and the doorway is a free standing arch.




So best to leave that until later and work with the other two walls.
First, I designed a cabinet for the corner next to the fireplace to hold the T.V. and stereo.


On one of my shopping excursions
I found this gorgeous wood carving hanging in the back of a store.
It was really hideous painted red, blue and gold.
No wonder no one claimed it!

 It was the perfect thing to add to my room.
 I repainted it using oil paints.  The birds are Great Blue Herons.


On one of my trips abroad I found this lovely copper enameled piece.
Again, Great Blue Herons.


On the other wall - next to the draperies
 I painted a picture of hummingbirds and the flowers are magnolias.



My next major project will be to finish off the free standing arch.
 I plan to make a metal room divider around it - this way the room will still be open but a bit private as well.


Just think this began with a table - I hope you like the room.

1 comment: