Friday 4 October 2013

A Seashell Wreath

Often when I go on holiday I make sure to buy something to remind me of the place I visited.  Then at a later date I gather up my treasures and try to make something so I can remember those long ago times.

Through the years I have acquired a ton of shells - some I bought and others I picked up along the beach.  I had a great assortment of shells ranging in neutrals, as well as shades of oranges and purple. 



Somewhere along my travels I had bought a unique wreath that was made from tree limbs and woven together with grape vines.  I decided to use this as my base - it was a bit uneven but I decided that would bring character to my project.

backside of wreath after I glued on the shells


Before I began to glue the shells onto the wooden wreath I laid them out roughly in a circle on the table - this way I could pick and choose how the wreath was going to look when it was finished - what shells would go where depending on size and color.  Using a hot glue gun I kept adding shells - layer upon layer - angling the shells different ways and filling in spots.  Using a can on fine iridescent spray glitter - I lightly sprayed the wreath.


The wreath still needed something - I had a bouquet of small cream colored tea roses - I glued the roses around the wreath.  In between the shells I added small loops of white iridescent ribbon.  





Still my wreath was lacking.What to add???  When I visited New Orleans, I found a small shop on Magazine Street that had some of the most unique Christmas ornaments that I have seen in a long time.  I ended up buying a few Cloisonne sea creature Christmas Ornaments to bring home - one never knows - right!

A bright ropical fish.

A golden brown sand crab with moving leg joints.
A golden brown shrimp with moving tail.

A dark green alligator with a moving jaw and tail.

A golden brown crawfish with segmented tail and golden long antenna
I set the ornaments on top of the wreath spacing them out evenly and then I glued them on.  Done at last - so what do you think?  I am remodeling my bathroom - I have decided to add sea accents - I think this might just fit in.




No comments:

Post a Comment